Work with us!
Make-It Springfield is hiring its first Director! Do you know someone excited to grow this vibrant community makerspace into something truly spectacular? Spread the word! Applicants encouraged to apply by Feb 1st.
Organizational Background: Make-It Springfield, a 501(c)3, is a community makerspace that provides a supportive place for community members of all backgrounds to learn new skills, build relationships, launch businesses & inspire one another. Make-It piloted our community makerspace concept by hosting a 30 day pop-up makerspace in June of 2016. Based on an overwhelming community response,
we have kept their doors open ever since. Make-It Springfield is in the process of expanding its vibrant creative community hub in
downtown Springfield. This larger facility will bring new energy and vibrancy to the neighborhood and will help expand our programming and offerings for creative entrepreneurs and leaders in Springfield. We are excited to build our multicultural, multi-generational creative space for community members & visitors alike to enjoy. Position Description: The Make-It Director will oversee the organization’s operations,
programs, fundraising, public visibility and partnerships, and financial planning. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director will be charged with the strategic leadership of the organization. An organized and resilient leader, this individual will embrace creativity, community, and diversity while working to grow the organization’s funding and ensuring excellent service to members and the broader community.
● Manage organizational transition into new expanded facility
● Generate funds through earned income, fundraising campaigns, corporate sponsors, and grants
● Manage and support staff, contractors, and volunteers
● Develop and strengthen community relationships; Act as representative with funders, sponsors, media, other agencies and partners
● Oversee fiscal management and reporting
● Lead both short-term and long-term organizational strategies in strong partnership with the Board of Directors and the organization's membership
● Other duties as needed
● Demonstrated leadership experience, ideally managing a non profit or small business
● Self-starter with ability to establish priorities, work independently, and work well with diverse constituencies
● Proven fundraising track record
● Ability to motivate and manage staff and volunteers
● Experience working with diverse communities
● Strong organizational skills
● Optimistic problem-solver
● Experience in managing collaborative projects and teams
● Basic nonprofit accounting knowledge including budgeting and record-keeping
● Excellent written/oral communication skills
● Experience in overseeing construction projects or moves a plus
● Background in STEM fields, makerspaces, arts management or education a plus
● The ideal candidate will be energetic, organized, and demonstrate a passionate commitment to the mission of Make-It Springfield
Type: Part-time contract position. Schedule is variable and flexible but expected work is approximately 20 hours per week with potential to grow. Some weekends and evenings may be necessary.
Compensation: $24 - $28 per hour commensurate with experience
To apply: Email resume and cover letter to with “Director Candidate” in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to apply by February 1st, 2020.
Make-It Springfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.